Cavities are a common dental problem, and many people suffer from them. Reasons such as unhealthy eating habits and poor oral hygiene are the biggest culprits of the problem. Our dentist recommends dental fillings to be an appropriate option to treat cavities. Besides this, fillings may also be used to restore chipped or broken teeth.
How is Dental Filling Performed?
1. Our dentist will numb the area around your teeth using a local anesthetic. After this, a drill, laser, or abrasion instrument will be used to remove the decay from your teeth.
2. After removing the decay completely, we will clean the cavity to ensure that no debris or bacteria remain.
3. We will put a liner made up of composite resin, glass ionomer, or other material to protect your nerve in case the decay occurs near the root of your teeth. Out of all the materials, composite resin fillings remain the most popular option.
4. After filling the gap, we use a special light to harden the layer so applied. Sometimes, a dental filling may also involve multilayering.
5. After the filling is applied and hardened, we will trim the access material and polish the final restoration to match the appearance of your natural teeth.
What are the Benefits of Dental Fillings?
1. The best benefit of opting for this procedure is that it stops the cavity from growing, thereby saving your tooth from further decay. Fillings protect the nerve endings in your dentin and also save you from toothache.
2. The use of fillings improves the structure of your teeth. They do not remain hollowed by the cavity but get the much-needed support.
3. The procedure is less-invasive and quick.
4. Fillings are also helpful in strengthening your fractured teeth. We use a white composite filling to address this concern.
5. Dental fillings enhance the appearance of your teeth. As our dentist polishes them to match the natural shade of your teeth, they do not look artificial.
How to Maintain Dental Filling?
1. Brush your teeth thoroughly twice a day using fluoride toothpaste, and floss after every meal.
2. Limit the intake of sugary foods and sticky snacks.
3. Use an antiseptic alcohol-free mouthwash to keep oral bacteria at bay.
4. Do not smoke or consume tobacco products. Limit the intake of beverages that stain your teeth, like coffee and tea.
5. Avoid biting or chewing hard food such as ice, nuts, etc., right after the procedure.
6. Visit our clinic for a routine check-up and regular professional dental cleanings to prevent the accumulation of plaque and bacteria.
Please reach out to our dental practice in Salt Lake City, UT, to have a consultation with our dentist in Salt Lake City UT, Dr. Bishop. Please call us at (801) 274-2500 or schedule an online consultation, and we’ll guide you further.